PCG: About 22 crew members were safely assisted by the Coast Guard and local authorities after a bulk carrier loaded with 20,000 bags of cement ran aground at approximately 100 yards Southeast of Lighthouse Station Tubigan Point, San Jose, Antique last Monday, September 03.
Initial information received from a radio call from M/V Queen of Charity revealed that M/V Star Liberty encountered distress at abovementioned area.
Immediately, Deployable Response Team (DRT) of Coast Guard Station (CGS) Antique together with Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, and Emergency Response Services (EMS) were alerted to render necessary assistance.
Upon arrival thereat, some of the crew had already jumped off the vessel and incurred abrasions from corals in the area.
Subsequently, 12 survivors were brought to the local Hospital for medical treatment. Meanwhile, another 10 survivors were brought to the evacuation centerfor first aid assistance.
Further investigation revealed that said vessel departed San Fernando, Cebu last 25 August bound to San Jose, Antique. The said vessel arrived and anchored at 150 meters South of Light Station Tubigan Point, San Jose, Antique. Unfortunately, around 09:30 AM on 03 September, M/V “Star Liberty” was dragged to the shallow portion of San Jose Port due to big waves and strong current prevailing in the area that resulted to the agrounding of said vessel.
Moreover, CGS Antique and the local residents provided foods and cloths to the survivors.
The following are the survivors:
1. Romulo Sayago, 70 y.o., Chief Engineer, Cebu
2. Jose Amarado, 59 y.o., Able Seaman, Leyte
3.Arnold Martinez, 53 y.o., Master of the vessel, Cebu
4.AldemorBobilles, 33 y.o., Apprentice Mate, Cebu
5. Vincent Pama, 29 y.o., Oiler, Cebu
6. Rolan Torreon, 28 y.o., Oiler, Bohol
7. Jason Cao, 27 y.o., Oiler, Cebu
8. Wendell Cajaro, 27 y.o., Apprentice Engineer, Cebu
9. April Joel Famor, 25 y.o., Able Seaman, Leyte
10. Jason Villa Cencio, 25 y.o., Apprentice Engineer, Cebu
11. GioRavago, 25 y.o., Chief Mate, Cebu
12. Jose Baby Redolosa, 24 y.o., Second Engineer, Cebu
13. Jairus Job Tinonas, 23 y.o., Apprentice Engineer, Cebu
14Jose AppariJr, 23 y.o., Able Seaman, Bohol
15. Karl Daniel Dayaday, 22 y.o., Apprentice Mate, Cebu
16. Mark David Albior, 22 y.o., Apprentice Mate, Cebu
17. Aaron John Mateo, 21 y.o., Apprentice Engineer, Cebu
18. Mike Gimenez, 21 y.o., Apprentice Engineer, Cebu
19. Cy Angel Gonzaga, 20 y.o., Apprentice Mate, Cebu
20. Kevin Canovas, Convoy, Cebu
21. Julito Roble, Crane Operator, Cebu
22. Jeth Christian Mateo, Apprentice Mate, Leyte
Personnel of CGS Antique personnel advised the Captain of M/V Star Liberty to file a Marine Protest and secure a Certificate of Seaworthiness from the Maritime Industry Authority.