The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) has responded to a maritime incident involving a fishing vessel, FV ST. PETER THE FISHERMAN II (GT: 148.37) with 31 fishermen on board that reportedly sank between the vicinity waters off Tanguingui Island in Northern Cebu and Gigantes Island in Iloilo today, 24 September 2021.
FV ST. PETER THE FISHERMAN II skippered by Captain Frankie Chavez and owned by Tristar Fishing Corporation sank due to strong winds and big waves prevailing at the said vicinity waters.
The PCG in Western Visayas immediately deployed BRP Nueva Vizcaya (SARV-3502) and PCG-manned BFAR vessel, MCS-3010 to conduct search and rescue operations.
At around 04:15 p.m., the sister vessel of the sunken vessel, FV OLD MAN AND THE SEA, successfully rescued 22 of the 31 distressed fishermen. They arrived at Cadiz City Commercial Port in Barangay Bangkerohan, Cadiz City, Negros Occidental for further assistance.
One of the 22 survivors, Second Mate Pablito Desamparado shared that while conducting fishing operations at around 01:00 a.m., they encountered strong winds and big waves that caused for their fishing boat to list to the port side (left) until it eventually sank.
Moreover, nine crew members of FV ST. PETER THE FISHERMAN II remain missing:
1) Boast Captain Frankie Chavez (Toboso, Negros Occidental)
2) Sonar Operator Norberto Parlotzo (Bantayan Island, Cebu)
3) Steersman Renante Forsuelo (Cadiz City, Negros Occidental)
4) Steersman Victor Calvo (Cadiz City, Negros Occidental)
5) Chief Engineer Herminio Ronamo (Estancia, Iloilo)
6) Third Engineer Manuel Auditor (Cadiz City, Negros Occidental)
7) Piscador Rommel Engle (Cadiz City, Negros Occidental)
8 ) Piscador Julit Salvo (Don Salvador Benedicto, Negros Occidental)
9) Cook Julian Dungog (Cadiz City, Negros Occidental)
Medical personnel of Cadiz City Health Office conducted physical examinations and provided medical treatments to the survivors. After confirming that they were all in good physical condition, the city government arranged their transportation to their respective residences.