At around 8:30 pm, 03 November 2018, the Philippine Coast Guard received a distress call indicating that motor yacht “Fusion,” owned by Mr. Wang He of Golden Fortune 101 Limetec and registered in Hong Kong, experienced engine trouble when its fuel tank leaked, and fuel residues clogged the engine’s fuel lines. The engine of the 25 gross-ton, 17-meter long yacht conked out at around 6:10 pm of 03 November 2018 as it was approximately 6 nautical miles off Cabangan, Zambales.

Upon receipt of the distress alarm, PCG Commandant Elson Hermogino immediately directed PCG District National Capital Region (NCR) – Central Luzon to dispatch MRRV- 4406 and make all necessary coodinations for the conduct of search and rescue. The PCG Auxiliary at NCR, the volunteer arm of the PCG,was likewise alerted to provide support.

A responding team from PCG Substation Masinloc under CG Subic provided initial response and arrived at the position of the yacht at around 1:00 am of 04 November 2018 on board a 27-foot motorboat braving the big waves in the area. They confirmed that the yacht was dead on water, but its passengers were in safe condition despite the rough sea condition. Tugboat “Stanford” of the Malayan Towage, which departed from Subic port, arrived at around 3:00 am and prepared to tow the yacht to Subic. PCG MRRV 4406, which was stationed in Manila, went on high speed at 25 knots to travel some 97 nautical miles to reach the area and safely transferred onboard the 11 passengers, including 4 children, who were immediately provided with food and water. Said Multi-role response vessel is one of the newly-constructed PCG vessels acquired from Japan. Three crew members stayed aboard the yacht as it was towed to Subic port.

Report states that at around 9:00 am of 03 November 2018, the yacht, skippered by Efren Olares of Camarines Norte, departed from Subic Bay Yacht Club enroute to Magalawa Island, Masinloc, Zambales. The yacht, with its passengers headed by Mr. Louie Kaw of Talayan St., Quezon City, left the islandto return to Subic Bay at around 5:00 pm later that afternoon.

PCG MRRV 4406 safely arrived at Subic port with the rescued passengers at 8:00 am, and the crippled yacht towed by Tugboat “Stanford,” at around 11:00 am. No one among the passengers and crew were reported to be hurt or injured.