The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) participated in the 43rd Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Maritime Transport Working Group Meeting in Nha Trang, Vietnam, from 20 to 22 September 2022.
Issues discussed during the meeting were approaches to realizing the ASEAN Single Shipping Market through implementing the agreed strategies and measures and strengthening the RO-RO (roll on-roll off) shipping network operation in the ASEAN region.
The representatives also identified the training needs of member countries to improve transport safety in the region and intensify regional cooperation in developing sustainable transport-related policies and strategies.
They also talked about how to catalyze cooperation for exploring regional requirements on Ballast Water Management (BWM) technology for coastal ships, including risk assessment, emergency measures, and port biological baseline surveys.
Moreover, the representatives reviewed the implementation of the ASEAN Comprehensive Recovery Framework (ACRF) to ensure the continuity of port terminal operations during COVID-19. Also discussed were the decarbonization efforts in maritime operations within the ASEAN region.
The event strengthened cooperation with ASEAN dialogue partners (China, European Union, India, Japan, Republic of Korea, and United States) and bolstered the International Maritime Organization (IMO)-ASEAN partnership.
The Philippine delegation expressed the country's continuing commitment to champion the ASEAN and global standards on the maritime transportation system.
The Philippine delegation during the event included:
1) CG Commander Jomark Angue, Deputy Chief of Coast Guard Staff for Maritime Safety Services;
2) Head of Delegation, Engineer Enrico Ferre, Department of Transportation (DOTr) Division Chief of Water Transport Planning Division;
3) Mr. John Patrick Dayao, Senior Communications Development Officer of DOTr International Cooperation Division;
4) Ms. Judy Honrado, Officer-in-Charge of International Shipping Development Division (ISDD);
5) Ms. Maria Krizel Hiyas Villanueva, Maritime Industry Development Specialist II of the Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA);
6) Mr. Julius Izhrael Villena, Acting Division Manager, Chief Management Specialist, Port Management Systems and Organizational Development Department of Philippine Ports Authority (PPA)